Monday, October 11, 2010

Monday Morning

The 4th graders missed ESL today, they were scheduled to visit the planetarium.  The schedule for planetarium trips is on a 3-week rotation and offers the students an exciting opportunity to learn about science in a more hands-on and visual dominant way.  Even though they are missing a session of work, I think that this is an interesting experience for them and is especially helpful for some of my students that don't learn as well by reading information on a page.

The first graders that see me twice a day performed poorly on their spelling test last week.  I maintain that even with the extra practice we are doing, that if they fail to practice or study at home they will not succeed in this area.  Part of learning spelling words is memorization, and that takes time and effort.  Although, I do think the words were particularly difficult last week with the "qu" blend.  Based on this mornings pre-test, the students did not take any time to look over there words this weekend, but since they are marginally less challenging, the results may be slightly improved.  Crossing my fingers.

The kindergarteners need to be tested using the "Running Records" exam.  My biggest concern is that our ESL students have not yet learned there letters, and thus are not reading at any level.  I am interested to see how tests are scored when a student is not yet a Level A reader.   

No comments:

Post a Comment