Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Be Flexible.

Flexibility.  One of the most important part of education is the ability to be flexible.  This afternoon, while working with a first grade group on their weekly (ish) sight word packet, I discovered they lacked a basic foundation in vowels.  The word today was "can" so I decided to move from the sight word itself to a lesson on the short vowel sound of "a" using the http://www.starfall.com/ website. 

All of the classrooms in my building are equiped with lovely 42" flat screen tv's that are conveniently linked to the computer.  I was able to work directly from my computer on the tv which allowed the students to follow along.  We studied the sound by picking an interactive review story and reading it out loud (with some help sounding out words from the site). 

Originally, I had planned to begin leveled reading in an attempt to improve fluency.  This diversion included reading, but also was more targeted toward their needs.  I plan to concentrate on the vowel sounds as they present themselves in future sight words.

No comments:

Post a Comment