Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Progressing Slowly

I'm beginning to get a little frustrated with the progress my kindergarteners are making.  Every day we review the letters and sounds that they learn in their classroom, and everyday they give me the sound and more-often-than-not cannot identify the letter.  As a child of another generation, perhaps I fail to understand the tremendous expectations that are placed on young children these days to produce results.  A 6 year-old is now expected to know not only their letters and sounds, but to make words out of them, put those words into sentences and than read those sentences (of course some of that comes later in the year).

The phonics part tends to be the more difficult part in my experience, but these students can look at the letter and sound it out without knowing what the letter itself is. 

I have begun reciting the ABC's with them while pointing to the letters in order, but I feel like its almost time to consider alternative options.  I think this week the lesson plan will stay about the same, but I will begin to discuss options with my supervising teacher.   

No comments:

Post a Comment