Sunday, September 19, 2010

Interactive Writing

This week the professional development focused on the idea of interactive writing.  I feel like this type of writing can be extremely useful for a small class setting.  I utilized the skills I learned during my first grade sessions last Friday.  We were working on building sentences using our sight words and the entire group participated in forming a sentence for the word "see".  I saw it as a nice segue between me giving them a sentence and them writing one completely on their own. 

Also, I used the concept of interactive writing during the "see" worksheet itself.  I had students come to the board to fix the misspelled words.

I try to include the students in the discussion, instead of simply dictating to them; however, I think that there is definitely more that I can do to include them.  Perhaps if they participate more than they will be more invested in the material and therefore absorb it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment