Thursday, September 30, 2010

Small Things

After yesterday's disappointing 1st grade session, today reminded me of the perks of working in an ermergence-based ESL program - special programs.  ESL takes a backseat on days when there are field trips or special programs/assemblies in the building.  This morning, it was learning about soil which consumed the first grade classes and gave me some room to reflect before our afternoon session. 

The time was good for me and them (or at least me).  The extra prep time allowed me to repair my mindset to one that would, and could, be more patient. 

Although the spelling scores still filled me with a internal sense of teacher failure (and made me slightly nauseated), I did see a minimal improvement and was able to remind myself that it's all new to them and they just need some more practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment